Post-Op Implant Instructions
- Following implant placement some pain or discomfort is to be expected. The local anaesthetic will last 3 to 4 hours after which analgesics (pain killers) may be required. These will be prescribed for you.
- Meticulous oral hygiene is essential to prevent contamination of the implant. The antibacterial mouthwash should be used as directed – one capful, undiluted, gargle twice a day for 30 seconds.
- Care should be taken not to place any pressure on the implant. It may be necessary to leave your denture out following the surgical procedure if you have one. Do not chew hard food on the surgical area.
- Stitches will be removed at your next appointment (around 10 day’s time), after which your mouth will feel much more comfortable.
- Smoking can cause failure of the implant to heal correctly. It is advisable to reduce or stop smoking after implant placement for at least one month.
If it is outside our working hours or on weekends, please contact the local hospital on (02) 4861 0200 or go to the emergency department on Bowral Street.